28 November 2008, 16:59
Prayer service for the health of HIV/AIDS infected to be held in Moscow
Moscow, November 28, Interfax –A prayer service for the health of people living with HIV/AIDS and their relatives will be conducted in the Moscow Church of the Life-Giving Trinity in Khoroshevo on November 30 on the eve of World AIDS Awareness Day.
If someone cannot attend the service, the names for prayer (people baptized in the Russian Church) can be sent by e-mail to email@example.com, the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations (DECR) has told Interfax-Religion on Friday.
The Russian Orthodox Church has known of cases in which AIDS has been miraculously healed.
‘I myself know of at least three cases in which a person who had this diagnosis suddenly turned out healthy’, DECR Deputy Chairman Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin said earlier at a press conference in Moscow.
He explained that such healing might happen through the prayers of the diseased or his or her relatives as well as through touching a shrine or the cross.
Margarita Nelyubova, a DECR staff member, said that sometimes doctors stated the absence of HIV from those who had been found carrying it earlier, with the antibodies remaining in their blood though. ‘But in cases of miraculous healing even the antibodies disappear’, she stressed.
According to some data, over thirty drug-dependent people who underwent a rehabilitation course at the Orthodox Center of St. John of Kronstadt, have been cured of AIDS after they turned to the Church for help.
“We observed four thousand rehabilitants of this kind and four hundreds of them were HIV infected. Thirty young boys and girls had their positive reaction to AIDS vanished in the course of their churching,” Rev. Anatoly Berestov, head of the Center, said at a round-table conference.
The Russian Orthodox Church developed its own concept for participation in overcoming the spreading of HIV/AIDS and for work with people infected with this virus. In the Church opinion, the social and medical factors and developments contributing to the formation of the so-called risk-groups are only indirect and secondary causes of the HIV epidemic.
“The real first cause and source of the rapid spreading of the epidemic is the unprecedented growth of sin and lawlessness, the loss of fundamental spiritual values, moral traditions and guidelines in society’, the concept stated.
- Doctors of Rostov clinic refuse abortions for Easter week 18 April 2014, 16:29
- Church official hopes that West hears Putin’s call to build Europe basing on shared values 18 April 2014, 11:03
- Beijing: Islamists control regional drug trafficking routes 17 April 2014, 16:27
- Russian people, like Noah, urged not to let the world finally sink in sin, Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin believes 16 April 2014, 19:21
- Two chapels and baptistery set on fire in Ulyanovsk region 16 April 2014, 17:47
- Alleged ex-activist of Hizb ut-Tahrir going on trial in Moscow 16 April 2014, 17:11
- Gay parades not permitted in Sevastopol or Simferopol 16 April 2014, 16:59
- Two imams banned from mosque service in Kyrgyzstan 16 April 2014, 15:29
- Kadyrov wants to build a mosque in Sevastopol 16 April 2014, 11:49
- Murderer confessed in his crimes after becoming a believer 15 April 2014, 16:11
- Islamic radicals are unpopular in Crimea - expert 15 April 2014, 11:08
- Putin thanks Russia's chief rabbi for contribution in enhancing inter-confession peace 15 April 2014, 10:00
- About 170 tonnes of matzah made for Passover in Russia 14 April 2014, 10:08
- Two militants suspected killers of Dagestan village imam 14 April 2014, 10:00
- Odessa Diocese secretary moves to Moscow for fear of persecution 11 April 2014, 17:27
- WRPC Human Rights Center supports the idea of criminal proceedings against Gorbachev 11 April 2014, 16:31
- Group of Jehovah's Witnesses followers detained in Uzbekistan 11 April 2014, 14:23
- Roman Abramovich spends half million dollars on Passover celebrations 11 April 2014, 10:08
- Village mosque imam killed in Dagestan 11 April 2014, 10:00
- Russian oligarchs start a pilgrimage across Israeli desert 10 April 2014, 11:39
- Radical Islam followers from Europe, Central Asia fight for Syrian militants - Bortnikov 09 April 2014, 14:03
- Assailants of Dagestan madrasah teacher killed in police operation 09 April 2014, 11:24
- Iraqi Sharia court to try Bryansk pedagogue on earthenware smuggling counts 09 April 2014, 10:59
- Kostroma authorities to appeal court ruling over illegality of gay pride parade ban 09 April 2014, 10:13
- Terrorism, Wahhabism neutralized in Chechnya completely – Kadyrov 09 April 2014, 10:04
- Russian Foundation to deliver Holy Fire from Jerusalem to Crimea 09 April 2014, 10:00
- Priest Grozovsky to be extradited to Russia soon 08 April 2014, 19:45
- Activities of 18 intl religious extremists suppressed in four Russian regions - FSB chief 08 April 2014, 12:30
- Russian prosecutors ask Israel to extradite priest accused of child molestation – sources 07 April 2014, 17:01
- Siberian hermit Agafya Lykova may move from taiga 07 April 2014, 16:50