28 November 2008, 16:59
Prayer service for the health of HIV/AIDS infected to be held in Moscow
Moscow, November 28, Interfax –A prayer service for the health of people living with HIV/AIDS and their relatives will be conducted in the Moscow Church of the Life-Giving Trinity in Khoroshevo on November 30 on the eve of World AIDS Awareness Day.
If someone cannot attend the service, the names for prayer (people baptized in the Russian Church) can be sent by e-mail to email@example.com, the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations (DECR) has told Interfax-Religion on Friday.
The Russian Orthodox Church has known of cases in which AIDS has been miraculously healed.
‘I myself know of at least three cases in which a person who had this diagnosis suddenly turned out healthy’, DECR Deputy Chairman Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin said earlier at a press conference in Moscow.
He explained that such healing might happen through the prayers of the diseased or his or her relatives as well as through touching a shrine or the cross.
Margarita Nelyubova, a DECR staff member, said that sometimes doctors stated the absence of HIV from those who had been found carrying it earlier, with the antibodies remaining in their blood though. ‘But in cases of miraculous healing even the antibodies disappear’, she stressed.
According to some data, over thirty drug-dependent people who underwent a rehabilitation course at the Orthodox Center of St. John of Kronstadt, have been cured of AIDS after they turned to the Church for help.
“We observed four thousand rehabilitants of this kind and four hundreds of them were HIV infected. Thirty young boys and girls had their positive reaction to AIDS vanished in the course of their churching,” Rev. Anatoly Berestov, head of the Center, said at a round-table conference.
The Russian Orthodox Church developed its own concept for participation in overcoming the spreading of HIV/AIDS and for work with people infected with this virus. In the Church opinion, the social and medical factors and developments contributing to the formation of the so-called risk-groups are only indirect and secondary causes of the HIV epidemic.
“The real first cause and source of the rapid spreading of the epidemic is the unprecedented growth of sin and lawlessness, the loss of fundamental spiritual values, moral traditions and guidelines in society’, the concept stated.
- Clerics bless humanitarian aid sent to Ukraine 21 August 2014, 13:44
- Twice as many churches to be built in Moscow in frames of Program 200 20 August 2014, 13:25
- Church from Moscow Program-200 can be included in world’s five masterpieces of mosaic art 20 August 2014, 13:21
- Patriarch Kirill demands intl protection of Orthodox Christians in Ukraine 20 August 2014, 10:13
- Deputy mufti murder in Vladikavkaz 18 August 2014, 11:42
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church urges gunmen in eastern Ukraine to lay down arms 18 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill: Uniates, schismatics seeking to eradicate Orthodoxy in Ukraine 18 August 2014, 10:05
- Patriarch Kirill sends greetings to Metropolitan Onufry 18 August 2014, 10:03
- Metropolitan Onufry enthroned as primate of Ukrainian Church 18 August 2014, 10:01
- Court suspends Kharkov authorities' resolution giving Russian senator title of Kharkiv freeman for building churches 15 August 2014, 12:50
- N. Korea's missile test-launch not connected with arrival of Pope Francis in Seoul - Pyongyang 15 August 2014, 12:43
- Far-right groups threaten Kiev Region priest with reprisals 15 August 2014, 11:54
- Ukrainian Orthodox Church ready for dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate", Autocephalous Church 15 August 2014, 11:05
- Production of Kosher food boosts thanks to sanctions 15 August 2014, 10:04
- Leaders of Jamaat Ansarullah Tajik wing killed in Afghanistan 15 August 2014, 10:03
- Rabbi calls for terrorists in Iraq, Syria to be ruthlessly killed, their sponsors tried in The Hague 15 August 2014, 10:01
- Moscow Patriarchate calls for cessation of genocide of Christians in Iraq 14 August 2014, 17:48
- Putin congratulates Metropolitan Onufry on election as Ukrainian Orthodox Church primate 14 August 2014, 15:11
- "Kiev Patriarchate": election of Metropolitan Onufry head of the Ukrainian Orthodox Church demonstrates pro-Moscow moods of majority of bishops 14 August 2014, 12:06
- Poroshenko hopes "achievements of Ukrainian Orthodoxy will multiply" under Metropolitan Onufry 14 August 2014, 10:51
- Election of Metropolitan Onufry strengthens hopes for peace in Ukraine - Moscow Patriarchate 14 August 2014, 10:09
- Ukraine's Moscow-lead Orthodox Church open to dialogue with "Kiev Patriarchate" 14 August 2014, 10:09
- New head of Ukrainian Church urges an end to bloodshed 14 August 2014, 10:06
- Patriarch Kirill affirmed election of Metropolitan Onufry as Ukrainian church leader 13 August 2014, 18:57
- Metropolitan Onufry elected primate of Ukrainian Orthodox Church (updated) 13 August 2014, 18:36
- Expert points out to new Turkish president connections with radical Islamists 13 August 2014, 14:55
- Security tightened in area of Bishops Council meeting in Kiev Laura of the Caves 13 August 2014, 14:08
- Russian expert on Islam believes we'll soon forget about secular Turkey 13 August 2014, 12:26
- Hundreds of refugees from south-east Ukraine sheltered in monasteries, crisis centers, parishioners' and priests' houses 13 August 2014, 11:54
- Yatsenyuk addresses Council of Bishops electing metropolitan of Ukrainian Orthodox Church 13 August 2014, 11:21