28 November 2008, 16:59
Prayer service for the health of HIV/AIDS infected to be held in Moscow
Moscow, November 28, Interfax –A prayer service for the health of people living with HIV/AIDS and their relatives will be conducted in the Moscow Church of the Life-Giving Trinity in Khoroshevo on November 30 on the eve of World AIDS Awareness Day.
If someone cannot attend the service, the names for prayer (people baptized in the Russian Church) can be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, the Moscow Patriarchate Department for External Church Relations (DECR) has told Interfax-Religion on Friday.
The Russian Orthodox Church has known of cases in which AIDS has been miraculously healed.
‘I myself know of at least three cases in which a person who had this diagnosis suddenly turned out healthy’, DECR Deputy Chairman Archpriest Vsevolod Chaplin said earlier at a press conference in Moscow.
He explained that such healing might happen through the prayers of the diseased or his or her relatives as well as through touching a shrine or the cross.
Margarita Nelyubova, a DECR staff member, said that sometimes doctors stated the absence of HIV from those who had been found carrying it earlier, with the antibodies remaining in their blood though. ‘But in cases of miraculous healing even the antibodies disappear’, she stressed.
According to some data, over thirty drug-dependent people who underwent a rehabilitation course at the Orthodox Center of St. John of Kronstadt, have been cured of AIDS after they turned to the Church for help.
“We observed four thousand rehabilitants of this kind and four hundreds of them were HIV infected. Thirty young boys and girls had their positive reaction to AIDS vanished in the course of their churching,” Rev. Anatoly Berestov, head of the Center, said at a round-table conference.
The Russian Orthodox Church developed its own concept for participation in overcoming the spreading of HIV/AIDS and for work with people infected with this virus. In the Church opinion, the social and medical factors and developments contributing to the formation of the so-called risk-groups are only indirect and secondary causes of the HIV epidemic.
“The real first cause and source of the rapid spreading of the epidemic is the unprecedented growth of sin and lawlessness, the loss of fundamental spiritual values, moral traditions and guidelines in society’, the concept stated.
- Metropolitan Kliment believes high speed is disadvantage of the Internet 27 November 2014, 14:59
- Russian Council of Muftis dismisses allegations of terror recruitment at Moscow Mosque 26 November 2014, 16:47
- IS funded by Afghan heroin profits - FSKN 26 November 2014, 15:44
- Hundreds of children to draw their guardian angel in the Moscow Cathedral of Christ the Savior 26 November 2014, 14:27
- Stavropol to host 3rd Forum of World Russian People's Council 26 November 2014, 10:30
- Anti-Semitic inscription appeared on the building of a Moscow center for Torah studies 25 November 2014, 16:42
- CIS-led intl court could investigate Ukraine religious crimes - Russian rights activist 25 November 2014, 15:09
- Tajik Islamists use Moscow as a crossing point between Tajikistan and Syria 25 November 2014, 13:48
- Patriarchal Commission against full ban on physical methods of upbringing children in family 25 November 2014, 12:56
- Russian priest suggests banning Wahhabism, Nazism and aggressive neo-paganism 24 November 2014, 17:46
- Church in the Donetsk Region shelled 24 November 2014, 17:34
- Humanitarian help to restore churches will be conveyed to the DNR 24 November 2014, 12:16
- Russia to invite OSCE to address condition of Christians in Mideast - Lavrov 24 November 2014, 10:08
- Moscow accuses UN mission in ignoring takeovers of churches and threats against priests in eastern Ukraine 24 November 2014, 10:04
- Zvyagintsev's Leviathan wins Golden Frog at Camerimage festival 24 November 2014, 10:03
- Russia, U.S. must melt ice in relationship, overcome global crises - Patriarch Kirill 21 November 2014, 19:02
- At least 50 churches were damaged in military action in Ukraine - Russian expert 21 November 2014, 18:20
- Uniates following UOC hierarchs distanced from memorandum for the Local Church 21 November 2014, 16:03
- Moscow wants Islamic world disagreements resolved - Russian foreign minister 21 November 2014, 12:14
- Putin, patriarch unveil monument to Alexander I outside Kremlin 21 November 2014, 10:02
- Jerusalem synagogue attack extreme, Russia must prevent such crimes - Putin 20 November 2014, 17:53
- DNR soldiers venerate St. George relics 20 November 2014, 14:30
- Patriarch Kirill speaks on divorce statistics 19 November 2014, 15:19
- Orthodox youth should be modern: no dress-codes and 'ethnographic ghetto' is needed 19 November 2014, 13:56
- Patriarch Kirill urges young people not to substitute real communication with virtual 19 November 2014, 13:37
- Patriarch Kirill recommends to take up the cross, not to 'relax and enjoy' 19 November 2014, 12:54
- Moscow denounces deadly attack on Jerusalem synagogue - Foreign Ministry 19 November 2014, 10:01
- Religions play key role in maintaining peace and stability - Azeri leader 18 November 2014, 11:26
- Residents in south Moscow voluntarily refuse parking lots to build a church 17 November 2014, 17:59
- Wars in Muslim countries stem from poverty, lack of education - leader of CIS' only legal Islamic party 17 November 2014, 12:07